30 December 2009

The Ghost of Christmas Past

This Christmas wasn't all I expected to it to be. But then, is it ever? How is it that we always look at Christmas past with rose colored glasses? As if we were all ever sitting around a tree, drinking cider, laughing and singing songs? As if there was ever a year when everyone kept the gift they were given and actually liked it, no one debated politics or religion, and no one brought a Weight Watchers dish to the pot luck.

Okay, I tried to be grumpy about it...but I'm still an optimist. Somehow, I will only remember the good things and get selective amnesia concerning everything that wasn't ideal. And that's why I have and always will love Christmas.

The highlights:
Giving my Nephews their gifts. Ian's first bike and Issac's first teddy bear.
Giving my Mom her new camera to take pictures of said Nephews.
Making an over-sized picture frame of our London/Paris trip for my Sis.
Making Christmas brunch with my Sister and Brother.
Finding out that my Aunt Viki is pregnant.
Playing board games late into the night with my In-Laws.
Opening presents with everyone!

And that's what I want to remember. In between all these happy highlights was a little drama, stress, and frustration. But if I put it here, it will be there for me to remember. So I'll just stick with the good stuff. And the Ghost of Christmas Past will do his work to make us all forget and do it all again next year.

Here's to the New Year and a 'perfect' Christmas...maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment